For me, painting is a necessity and has become my passion. I love starting a new piece – the anticipation and excitement of creating something new, something from the soul, a piece of art that may give pleasure to others but more importantly, fulfills me.
Maribel Matthews is a Gibraltarian living in Gibraltar with her husband, children and grandchildren.
She has been a prominent figure in Gibraltar’s local art scene for many years, driven by passion for painting and inspired by the beauty of nature, the great architecture it encompasses and the versatility of man.
Maribel has come a long way and both local and international press have recognised her work and achievements as an artist. Among artists she is well known for the masterful technique in her artwork.
Her painting ‘Trees in the Mist’ was highly commended at the Gibraltar International Exhibition 2005.
In 2007 the Alwani Foundation awarded Maribel the prize for her painting of ‘Casemates’.
- Versatile Maribel adds fourth dimension to landscapes Panorama (solo exhibition 2005)
- 2005 – Artist of the month – Panorama, March 2005
- 2007 – Modigliani and Beyond – Gibraltar Magazine covers the exhibition at the Fine Arts Gallery (solo exhibition)
- Maribel’s collection is featured at the Fine Arts Gallery in Casemates Square and discussed in 7 Days newspaper
- 2010 – This is Venice Behind the Mask. The Gibraltar Chronicle covers Maribel’s exhibition and the inspiration behind her brush (solo exhibition)
- Venice Behind the Mask – Gibraltar Magazine. A collection inspired by the city of Venice, encapsulating the famous architecture and unique character of this great city.
- 2012 – ‘Useless Mouths’ joint exhibition at Gibraltar House, London, October 2012 (featured in GBC).
- 2012 – ‘Gibraltar’s New Artists Exhibition’ at the Clarendon Fine Arts Gallery, London 2012 (featured in GBC).
- 2013-2016 – Took part in numerous collective exhibitions and a series of television programmes entitled ‘Where is the Art?’
- 2016-2017 – Headhunted by the Agora Gallery in New York for representation and held a successful exhibition there called ‘Unbound Perspectives’
- 2017 – Appeared in an article in the New York magazine, ‘Artis Spectrum’, which is in all the New York galleries and news stands
- 2018 – Took part in the ‘New York Art Expo 2018’
- 2018 – Held another successful New York exhibition, ‘Spring Awakenings’
- 2018 – Took part in the first biennial Exhibition in Basel Switzerland, June 2018
- 2019 – Exhibited in Conningsby Gallery, Fitzrobia, London
- 2019 – Took part in the Cannes biennale, May 2019
- 2019 – Shall be taking part in the ‘Raccontami’ exhibition in Milan, June 2019
- 2019 – Shall be exhibiting at the Louvre Carousel in Paris, October 2019